Don’t worry, I didn’t forget my promise of a Manhattan Monday! Here it is: Rittenhouse Rye, Martini Rosso Vermouth, and Angostura Bitters. Stirred over ice, then strained and garnished with a generous twist of lemon. What to listen to while sipping it? Why, Lou Reed’s perfect “Transformer” of course! Glamorous and edgy, sophisticated and angry; just like the drink and the borough for which it’s named.
Here’s how to make it…
Step one: Start Lou Reed’s “Transformer”
- 2 oz Rittenhouse Rye
- 1 oz Martini Rosso Vermouth
- 2-3 Dashes Angostura Bitters
- Lemon Twish for garnish
- Cracked ice
- Cocktail Glass (6 ounces or less size)
- Jigger for measuring
- Mixing Glass
- Cocktail Spoon
- Julep Strainer
- Chill a cocktail glass by putting ice and water in it, and set it aside
- Using a jigger, measure the Rye, Vermouth, and Bitters into a mixing glass
- Crack enough ice to fill the glass almost 2/3s full, and put it into the glass
- Stir the contents with a cocktail spoon, for at least 20 seconds
- Dump the ice water from the cocktail glass
- Strain the drink into the chilled cocktail glass
- Garnish with the lemon twist
- Sit back and enjoy!
Here’s “Perfect Day”…Thank you, sir. Rest in peace.